Thursday, October 30, 2014

This Ability.

As we continue our reflection on Exodus 3 and 4, let’s consider a statement made by Moses:

Moses said to the LORD, “O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue.” (Exodus 4:10)

Though we often hear commentary on Moses’s slowness of speech and tongue, I’d like us to reflect on what Moses said just prior to his self-assessment of his speaking ability. He said, in essence, God, even though You’ve spoken to me, I still lack eloquence. This encounter with You has not affected my speech impediment.

If God created the worlds out of nothing, and if God could cause a bush to burn without being consumed, and if God could cause a staff to transform into a snake, then surely He would have no problem with imparting eloquence to a man… yes? Or no?

Moses’s statement might be our statement as well. We may have seen profound miracles happen around us, but no miracle has yet happened in us. We continue to walk in weakness. And perhaps we, like Moses, are wondering how we could have encountered God and still carry a trait that exposes our weakness to the world.

God says some amazing words to Moses in reply:

The LORD said to him, “Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.” (Exodus 4:11-12)

What an awesome gift Moses received from God! Although Moses’s speech and tongue were still slow, Moses had God’s assurance of Divine help. Moses, I made your mouth; I know what you bring to the table. Don’t be concerned! When it’s time for you to speak My word to others, I will do more than just give you the words to say. I will do a miracle in you that allows your very speech pattern to be aided by My Spirit in you. I will not remove your slowness of speech: I will override it.

I can think of specific moments where God did not remove the limitations in me, but He instead overrode them so that His message could be shared. Maybe you’ve had moments like that too. Maybe you’re having a moment like that right now. Remain encouraged! Our God, who made us as we are, is the same God who can use us, as we are, for the sake of His glory.

Lord God, we stand in gratitude of the choices You have made concerning our frame and our nature. We are available to You! We are ready to go anywhere for You! Override our frailties. Override our speech and tongue. Be ever glorified in us. Amen.

Scripture references are from The Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.


No comments:

Post a Comment