Wednesday, July 23, 2014

F.M.

And Jesus said to another man, "Follow Me." But the man replied, "Lord, please let me go and bury my father first." Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead; but you, you go and proclaim the kingdom of God wherever you go." (Luke 9:59-60, paraphrase mine)

As I walked through downtown Brooklyn yesterday, I met a woman who had come to New York City from Illinois. She came to New York to pray.

She was not alone. Hundreds of Christians, who are not from our city, are currently in our city as part of a parachurch prayer effort. Spread Truth is committed to sharing the good news of Jesus Christ. They are serving, they are teaching, and they are praying.

I had the honor and privilege of engaging in conversation with this sister in the Lord, and her prayer for me was filled with grace and faith. As we said goodbye and I continued on my way, I was reminded of Pastor Shane's sermon this past Sunday. In the middle of the sermon Pastor Shane addressed the concern of many a Christian: What is my purpose? What is God's desire for my life? The answer is found in a succinct directive from our Lord: Follow Me. The expectation of Christ is that His people will follow Him. Our pastor pointed out that if we are following Jesus, then it is He who will instruct us regarding where we go, what we do, what we say, and how we pray.

Follow Him from the Bronx to Brooklyn.
Follow Him from Illinois to New York.
Jesus is the Leader. Will you follow?

Today, Lord, give us grace and a deep desire to follow You: not because of what we will get in return, but simply because we love You.

No comments:

Post a Comment