Friday, February 21, 2014

Jesus On Speed Dial.

At the beginning of Sunday's sermon, Pastor Andy shared the title: Promoting Freedom Through the Power of Jesus. He then added, "I didn't say 'promoting freedom through the pastoral team'."

Is it human nature to seek out the pastoral team before doing anything else? I ask this because I know my own knee-jerk reaction to crisis. If I am very ill, or if I think I need advice, or if a deadline is approaching and I am getting nervous about what may or may not happen, or if anything happens that even remotely resembles spiritual bondage, my first instinct is to pick up my phone and call a pastor or two. Why? Because it's much easier for me to call a pastor first than it is for me to pray first, fast first, or wait first.

I'm not alone in this boat, and I say that based on academic research and practical experiences with pastors from several churches (in addition to reflecting on my own sad track record). We congregants give great lip service to the love and power and presence of Christ Jesus in the life of the believer, but when the rubber hits the road we're not so inclined to call on Jesus. Instead, we call Pastor-so-and-so. And, because part of their role is to serve the community of faith, our ministers will typically do whatever they can to assist. That's great, and that is even appropriate, but I wonder if we are grossly short-changing ourselves by mediating our entire Christian journey through ministers instead of experiencing direct, dynamic encounters with the very Lord we claim to have given our lives to.

There is only one way to set captives free and resolve seemingly impossible situations. That way, that power, is found in the presence of Jesus. The Christian prescription has not changed: it is all about Jesus, our Lord. Worship the Lord. Pray to the Lord. Read and meditate on the word of the Lord. Give liberally to the work of the Lord. Obey the counsel and promptings of the Lord. It is this practice of complete, intimate communion with the Lord Jesus that increases our faith, trust, and patience... and it is the Lord Jesus who positions us to experience real, lasting freedom from demonic influences, oppression, and possession. That was the story of the man in Mark 5:1-20. That can be our story as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment