Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thankful For The Spirit Of Christ.

We want to avoid the trap of what we call moralism: in other words, there is a danger, when you are pursuing holiness, that you hear the call to holiness as a call to do better and try harder. It is a trap where people find it easier to pretend than to actually experience. -Rev. Dr. Sam Vassel (paraphrase mine)

In this past Sunday's sermon, Pastor Sam reminded us of the good news: holiness is not about trying harder. "The good news of holiness... is that people here and now can experience God's Spirit. And what we are about, in this community, is to announce the possibility and the necessity of experiencing the Holy Spirit."

Our pastor shared with us that we are not a community convicted by our inability to accomplish holiness in our own strength. Rather, we are a community converted, renouncing any attempts at delivering ourselves, and submitting ourselves to the Spirit of Christ. It is His presence and power that free us to obey His word.

Are you submitted to the Spirit?
Are you aware of His presence?
Are you empowered by Him?

Lord God, I recognize that I am not strong enough to live a life of holiness by my own means. Today, once again, I submit my entire being to You. Live in me! Work in me! Move through me! No part of my life is off-limits to You. Do as You will; shine Your perfection through my imperfect frame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment