Monday, September 30, 2013

Comparing Tones.

When I read from the Book of Psalms, I tend to treat each psalm as an independent lyric work. However, there are a few exceptions. For example, I usually combine my reading of Psalms 42 and 43 (which in Hebrew tradition are treated as a single work), and Psalms 95 and 96.

During my quiet time on Sunday afternoon, I was thinking of Psalm 51. Then, all of a sudden, I had an epiphany: Psalm 50 and Psalm 51 are next to each other. I don't mean just in terms of sequence, but also in terms of topic. They do not have to be treated as independent works, even though they are attributed to two different people (50 as a psalm of Asaph, and 51 as a psalm of David). These two psalms allow us to see what I call the divergent paths of the calloused versus the contrite

King David was a man who knew both paths. He experienced the hard, unyielding, self-satisfied mindset of a man refusing to fully submit to God. And he experienced the broken, penitent mindset of a man who realized that the Lord of all creation can remove just as easily as He grants (see Psalm 75:7).

Today, let's take the time to read Psalms 50 and 51. And let's place ourselves in the center of each one. There are questions to ask: 

*Am I withholding anything from God?
*Am I engaging in self-justification?
*In what areas of my life am I thinking, 'God doesn't mind'?
*Does God have my heart's complete devotion?
*Does my life show that I want to please Him more than myself?

Lord God, You who know all things, speak to our hearts. Show us the path we tread. Plant in us the spirit of contrition and repentance. May we never approach Your presence and work with a calloused heart. Teach us anew today through Your word, which is forever settled in Heaven, and give us the wisdom to obey You. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment