Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Ladies and Gentlemen, Step Right Up...

For, I think, God has exhibited us apostles last of all, as men condemned to die, because we have become a spectacle to the world, both to angels and to people. (First Corinthians 4:9)

After this Jesus went away to the other side of the Sea of Galilee (also called the Sea of Tiberias). A large crowd was following him because they were observing the miraculous signs he was performing on the sick. (John 6:1-2)

Jesus replied, “I tell you the solemn truth, you are looking for me not because you saw miraculous signs, but because you ate all the loaves of bread you wanted.” (John 6:26)


Some years ago, on a whim, I decided to stand at the front door of Bronx Bethany and hold the door open for people as they came into the building. I received a number of reactions. Some people were happy and thanked me for holding the door. Other people were offended and said that they were capable of opening the door for themselves, and did not need my help.

But the most interesting experience that I had that day was that two men came to the door and asked me a question. “Is Sam Vassel here today?”

I replied, “He’s speaking at another church this morning, but he might be back in time for the end of the second service.” (This was back when our church only had two services each weekend.)

“Oh, okay,” they said, and they turned to leave.

I asked them to stay, assuring them that all of our pastors were excellent speakers and that service would go on as usual.

“No thanks,” one man replied. “We weren’t really coming for service. We just wanted to see Dr. Vassel.” And with that, they went back down the steps and left.

Well, at least those men were honest. What about us? Why are we showing up at Bronx Bethany?

In John 6, Jesus confronts a crowd that has been “following Him” for the wrong reason. Rather than seeking forgiveness, intimacy, and communion with the Lord, the crowd followed Him for the satiation of their appetite for food and entertainment. They were content to watch Jesus minister life while they themselves remained bound in sin, in a spirit of hate, and deluded by their own sense of self-sufficiency.

Our Lord Jesus calls us to intimacy with Him. Our participation in the sacrament of communion is a way in which we publicly identify ourselves with Jesus. Our commendation is not gained by mere church attendance, but by having hearts that hunger and thirst for intimacy with the living God.

Jesus says, “Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so the one who consumes me will live because of me.” (John 6:57) It’s nice to hear great music and great preaching. It’s nice to see friends and hang out with the body of believers. It's nice to hear inspired sermons. But life, true life, eternal life, is only found in Jesus.

Entertainment, or intimacy? It's your call.

No comments:

Post a Comment