Monday, May 28, 2012

Art-istic.

This week’s blogs are grown from the good sermon soil of our dear friend and district leader, Reverend Art Alexander. Pastor Art spoke to us from Jeremiah 29:11-14, a very familiar passage to some of us.

Pastor Art reminded us that the passage is given to us in the context of a people in exile, those exiled because of their repeated disobedience to God. Yet, though exiled, God gives them two things:

-a promise for eventual deliverance; and
-instructions on how to live while in exile.

In essence, God used Pastor Art to continue the message that we were given last week through Reverend Cole. And it is a message God has sent to us before. God is saying to us, unequivocally, that we as a church body are going to experience some uncomfortable situations.

My task this week is to remind you of some of the details from Pastor Art’s sermon. Today, we’ll start with just a recap of the Scripture. If you can, it would be more beneficial to read several chapters of Jeremiah (like chapters 26 through 29) or, if you have the time and discipline, to read the entire book of Jeremiah during this week (52 chapters). But this is what we read during the service:

'For I know what I have planned for you,' says the Lord. 'I have plans to prosper you, not to harm you. I have plans to give you a future filled with hope. When you call out to me and come to me in prayer, I will hear your prayers. When you seek me in prayer and worship, you will find me available to you. If you seek me with all your heart and soul, I will make myself available to you,' says the Lord. 'Then I will reverse your plight and will regather you from all the nations and all the places where I have exiled you,' says the Lord. 'I will bring you back to the place from which I exiled you.'

Pack your bags, baby. We’re going to Babylon.

No comments:

Post a Comment