Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Iron Fences, High Hedges, And Cultural Microaggressions.

"Jamaican Christians within the tri-state area are being invited to fast and pray for Jamaica from 6:00 am - 6:00 pm culminating with special prayer services at designated prayer centers throughout the tri-state area." (This, unfortunately, is from a real ad. Keep reading to see why I said "unfortunately".)

Here is the way I, as someone who's not a Jamaican, interpret the ad:

"If you are a Jamaican, you're invited to fast and pray with us. If you're not Jamaican, don't bother. We don't need intercession from outsiders. We don't want you to know our deep prayer needs."

This ad stands in stark contrast to the sermon shared by Pastor Benji this past Sunday. Pastor Benji focused on the need for Christians to shift from a mentality of individualism to one of universalism: we represent the message and mandate of Christ to all nations of the earth. The sermon was perfectly in line with the mission of BBCN- to be a redemptive influence in the Bronx, and in the world, to the glory of God. I believe that a huge part of that influence takes place in the intercessory prayers of Christians around the world.

So, I remain a non-Jamaican praying for Jamaica. And though I was not invited by the ad, I think that God would be cool with it if I fasted and prayed along with the Jamaican Christians. I'm tempted to say something about the use of the term "Jamaican Christians", but I'll hold my thoughts on that for now.

Let's make the shift from self to world! Please visit the blog for the rest of this week as we park in Genesis 18, reflecting on God's assessment of Abraham. Here's a verse to consider in preparation:

I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me. (Genesis 22:17-18)

No comments:

Post a Comment