Saturday, June 6, 2009

Adding Thorns To The Nest.

This past Sunday was an unusual one in the life of Bronx Bethany, and it is so exciting to see that God is free to speak to His people in any way He chooses. It's especially exciting to have a pastoral staff that is not afraid to obey God, even if it means pushing themselves out of the "comfort zone" and doing church differently.

I was personally challenged by the Acts 2 reading: a passage we read pretty much every year on Pentecost, but this year I feel more of God's weight pressing on me in this matter of complete abandonment to God. Yes, I was obedient and resigned my full-time job in 2007 to go back to school- God said it, I did it. And I was obedient and said yes when He called me into full-time ministry. There is no doubt in my mind that, in time, God will make that a reality on earth just as it is in heaven. But today I had to ask myself the question: Have I really given up every bit of my personal agenda for the sake of the cross of Christ?

Apparently not. There are still traces of self-protectiveness, self-promotion, fear of what other people might be thinking... as if the word of God is not sufficient. I guess it's an every day battle, this dying to self.

Will you reflect on this question with me? Erase your job, your family, your pastors, and approach your Savior and Lord one-on-one. Find time to get alone with Him and get His assessment of what's really going on inside of you. Are you really engaged in the work of the Acts 2 church? You might be surprised by what you discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment